Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I?
- What are the Parent Portal System Computer System Requirements?
- What do I need to understand about grading?
- What do I need to know about attendance?
- How do I troubleshoot problems?
- Is it secure?
1. How do I?
2. What are the Parent Portal System Computer System Requirements?
- Internet connection – 56k modem speed or greater
- Browser – Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Mac or Windows
- A computer that can run the appropriate browser version (IE6)
- Mac OS X: Safari or Firefox Mac OS 9: Mozilla 1.2.1, Netscape 4.8
- Windows: Internet Explorer 6 or higher or Firefox
- A monitor with at least 800 x 600 resolution
- Have Java enabled
3. What do I need to understand about grading?
- a. Considerations:
Even though you will be able to check grades 24 hours a day / 7 days a week, teachers' grades are posted midterm and end-of-term. Some teachers will post grades more frequently. Large projects often take much longer to grade fairly. Please be patient and do not call or e-mail teachers to post assignments more often.
Not all teachers use the PowerTeacher Gradebook and will only have midterm, final grade and attendance available in Parent Access.
- Calculated course percentages and grades may seem low or high at the beginning of a quarter; grade averages in the early part of a term can fluctuate greatly when even a minor assignment is graded. As more assignments are scored, the calculated grades will normally be closer to the final grade. Several missing assignments, quarter projects or test grades may significantly affect the quarter grade.
- Different classes may use different factoring methods to weight assignment scores; the current percentage and grade, therefore, may not be equivalent to the average of all scores reported.
- The number of grades available varies due to the content area of the course.
- If errors are suspected in any assignment scores, the student needs to show the assignment to the teacher.
4. What do I need to know about attendance?
Every effort is made to keep the attendance information up-to-date, however due to the manual processing of excuse notes and phone calls, we ask you to be aware that information on the parent portal may not be updated for 24 – 48 hours after a note is submitted. Consequently, an excuse note that is submitted 2 days after an absence may not be entered until 72 hours after the absence occurred. Also, excused Tardy and Dismissal notes will not be recorded until the next school day. Attendance concerns should be addressed to the school’s Attendance Secretary.
5. How do I troubleshoot?
- Be aware that a few of the features shown on the top of the page
(such as Recommendations and the Bulletin) are not available at this time.
We will notify you when they become available.
- Even though you will be able to check grades at any time of day, there may
be times when the system is down due to planned maintenance or an unplanned
outage. Please check the system again within 24 hours. If you still do not have
access, please email
- When experiencing a technical issue, e.g. inability to access the Parent Portal, please refer to the PowerSchool Parent Portal User Guide and the troubleshooting document available to you on the website before contacting the District. If you continue to experience technical issues, e-mail
PAHelp@cksd.wednet.edu a clear
description of your issue. Please include your name, your student's name
and the school your student attends. You can expect the response time to be up to 2 work days.
- The school district does not provide technical support for your home/work computer system.
- Users must realize that e-mail and other communications via the Internet are not guaranteed to be private.
6. Is it secure?
- PowerSchool Parent Access uses state-of-the-art security, but, like your online bank account, if somebody has your UserID and Password, they can access the system. You should always be careful about sharing your UserID and Password with anybody.
- CKSD has the ability to monitor Parent Access to PowerSchool. The Parent Access Log lists date of login, time accessed, and duration of login (in minutes).
- CKSD cannot guarantee that your information will be secure outside the District as it goes though several servers once it leaves the District.